Tuesday, January 17

My great great grandfather and his dog


The father of my mothers mother, my grandma's father, holding his twin barrel shotgun and posing with his beloved dog Pollo. He always had a dog. Frederik Willem Te Strake. My brother Willem was named after him, I think. He died at the age of 88, my brother at the age of 21.
My family developed a sudden interest in its roots, its ancestors, its past. We feel a deep love for each other, although we find it hard to say. I am a very happy man, having such a family and I know I should behave more like the family man I really am inside.
I tried to make a similar photo with my own dog. I don’t own a shotgun, so I used a whip. And my beloved dog Benno refuses to look into the lens when I tell him so.

5 comments:

Keeper said...

Gerrit: Thank you for sharing a part of your life on my weblog. I know that others that may read your comment will find comfort with the fact that it’s ok to share your feelings, even with those who you may never know. You have enriched my life knowing there are people like you in this world.
With my best regards to you and your family and may your God be with you
Kenn

Guus said...

Geweldige foto's, alletwee :)

Testnaam said...

Wees maar blij dat de genen voor de O-benen niet zijn doorgegeven.

Wil said...

Animals are the toughest customers to work with when it comes to "posed" photographs. Bonno does mind the sound of your voice, doesn't he?

An interesting photo from a bygone era. Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

Neef Wim: Potverdikkie, waar komt dat toch allemaal vandaan? Nog meer van die foto's. Gelijk op het web!