Saturday, February 12

Why some bolts never come loose


I try to avoid it, but once in a while a have to repair something on my car. This time I had to replace the glowplugs of the engine of the van. The plugs are placed in such a way that its almost impossible to unloose them. This seems to be a design demand, make it impossible for a normal guy to tinker on this engine. And tinkering it is, I replaced two plugs. The third broke off while unscrewing it and to unscrew the fourth I had to dismantle half the engine, so I let it stay. I think I have to read Robert Pirsig's Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance again. He says the first thing you need when you work on your motor is a clear state of mind. He forgets to tell you that the best way to loose your mind is to work on an old engine. My brother Jaap states that a real gentleman does not work at all. I think he is right.

1 comment:

Marie said...

Found you through a link at the Alchera Project... read some random entries. I like the way you write. :) Just thought I'd tell you so... ~Marie