Tuesday, November 8

Digitizing Rickie Lee Jones


One of my all times favorites is Rickie Lee Jones's number The last chance Texaco. I have started digitizing my old record collection and found this beautiful number between Jimmy Hendrix, Alice Cooper, Creedence Clearwater Revival and Pink Floyd. The Last chance texaco has this dreamy sound and beautiful lyrics. Now I can hear her on my I-pod. But something is missing, all the tics and hisses from the record are digitally cleaned and now it seems to smooth. I miss the clicks and pits.

I am an idiot...

4 comments:

Wil said...

I noticed the othe rnight I was missing the pops and clicks that *should* have been present in the Janis Joplin tune I was listening to ... and so it goes.

How ARE you getting rid of all the noise?

Laurie said...

Hmm, this got me thinking about what I have and have not replaced from my olde record collection. And I too will always miss the 'personality' vinyl records. I even miss that tangible zen-like act of gently picking up the arm and setting it down on the next "good" song. It was an art :o)
Under my NOT replaced list is:
Alice Cooper
and
Grand Funk Railroad

I DID replace Black Sabbath- Volume 4, with a cd. All Pink Floyd, Beatles,Creedence and most recently Golden Earring.

Laurie

Gerrit Bosman said...

Hi Wil,

I use software to convert the analog signal of my record player into a digital track. This track can be filtered and edited. I use Pinnacle Clean Software to edit and clean the track. Then the clean Wav file can be converted into a mp3 or AAC file.

Gerrit Bosman said...

Hi Laurie,

my kids like Alice Cooper more then I do. I saw him in an interview on BBC recently. I still like the guy.
And Golden Earring, our national pride. Still going strong, they also produce new artists, Anouk is my favourite.
And now you mention it, the scrathing sount of the needle brings back good feelings, that's the thing we miss, I think, digitizing the memorie is not always a good thing.