Friday, October 14

Fixing bikes


Fixing bikes is a returning job when you are a father. When the days are getting shorter the kids need their lights, so daddy has to fix them. It gives me a strange feeling of satisfaction to do so. I like fixing things, I am good at it, and mostly, I feel very fatherlike when doing it.
More and more I get the feeling that things appreciate being fixed. Like they feel they are taken care off, just like kids feel that you love them and take care.
When sailing, this feeling is overwhelming, because a sailing-boat has a mind of its own and if not treated right it can actually kill you, but when you treat her with love and care, she will save your ass when things are bad.
I am very good with boats, I love them, I feel they want to be treated right and I have developed the skills to do so. Maybe I am more of a thing man then a person man. I usually understand things better then persons, not to mention women. They really puzzle me, including my own daughter.

1 comment:

Wil said...

Now, you know that understanding women is impossible. Why do you torment yourself so?

Sadly, daughters grow up. And while they're still a little girl in Daddy's eye, they seem to think they're ready to fly on their own. There's an ages-old conflict not soon resolved.

I still pine for my lost little girl and am amazed at the wise woman who has replaced her...